Re: URL MIME CLICK BUD DETECTED

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go on a business trip, and I returned only
today... Sigh! I would love to work for this project exclusively ;-))

Am 22.06.2001 18:33:49 schrieb(en) Ali Akcaagac:
> On 2001.06.22 18:20:59 +0200 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> > hi!
> >
> > i think i've detected a bug in your url clicker
> > for balsa. please go to this email and try selecting
> > his mentioned url.
> >
> > Subject:       1.1.6 introduced "Bare LFs in SMTP"?
> > Date:          2001.06.22 17:55:24 +0200
> > From:          Scott Thomason <SThomaso@hii.com>
> > To:            balsa-list@gnome.org
> >
> > it results, that the mouse wont change the shape
> > and you cant load the url through your email program.
> > now go to another email and try it again on the other
> > and you see you can load the pages.. i bet the '.'
> > behind the url is the cause.

This is an old problem... How do I detect the end of an url, especially, does
a valid separator (like "." or a ")") still belong to the url, or does it
belong to the sentence around it. This is not easy to distinguish (think of
e.g. see http://www.balsa.net). I made a fix for that some time a ago, but it
did not make it into 1.1.6 (it was against 1.1.5, but the cvs changed a lot
since then). I'll make a new patch against the current cvs asap (well, not
tonight, I'm still somewhat tired :-((.

> i investigated a bit more into this and detected that the email from scott
> thomason was written with wraps enabled so he has a overlength line and that
> might cause the problem why the url mime detector cant get the url anymore
> and freeze any urls shown on the page.. now i reply to you with an
> overlenght email line myself and i hope my theoretics will proove..

Yeah, another known Problem. Same fix as above, and the same problem (btw,
this patch also included the first basic support for the
telnet/gopher/mailto/newas/nntp urls...). Actually, it is not really easy to
find a solution for that, because you have to know a lot about the methods
gtk_text uses to display (and wrap!) the texts. I had the idea to produce a
stripped down version of gtktext.[hc] which includes "hot areas", but this
seems to be like overkill for me (but maybe I will do that...). Thing should
improve with Gtk 2.0, as the "new" text widget seems to support these
things...

Thanks again for pointing me to these bugs,

Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  E-Mail albrecht.dress@arcormail.de