Re: remote smtp server in balsa-1.1.6?

On 2001.07.16 15:33 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On 2001.07.16 20:20:19 +0100 Fernan Aguero wrote:
> > I upgraded from balsa-1.1.4 to 1.1.6 and started having problems to
> send
> > messages. I am behind a firewall and my local sendmail does not have
> > access to the outside world. Instead I have to use my Institution's
> main
> > smtp server. Apparently there is no option for it in balsa-1.1.6 (at
> least
> > I don't see it in the settings dialog).
>
> Thisis exactly the configuration where the balsa + libESMTP combo should
> excel.
>
> In the Settings/Preferences/Mail Servers dialogue, set the Remote SMTP
> Server
> to the domain name of your Institution's SMTP server.  Note that Balsa
> uses
> the RFC 2476 mail submission port 587 by default.  If you have a legacy
> SMTP server that still requires mail submissions on port 25, specify the
> server something like "your.servers.domain:25".  If you need to log
> on to the server, enter your username and password in the boxes below.
>
> There should be no problems once this step is set up correctly.
>
> Brian Stafford

Thanks Brian for the help.

The problem was apparently specific for balsa-1.1.6 (I had it configured
without libESTMP). When switching from 1.1.4 to 1.1.6 the remote smtp
server option disappeared ...
Now that I could get libESTMP I compiled balsa-1.1.7 and everything works
OK again. The first time that 1.1.7 ran it said it converted my settings to
a new format needed because of libESTMP. Now in the remote server box I had
appended the port to the server domain name, but it happened automatically.

I don't know what was the problem with 1.1.6 but it's fixed now.

Thanks again,

Fernan

PD: it could be a good idea to put libESTMP in some mirror sites. Now you
can only get it from uklinux and last weekend (when iklinux went down)
there were no other options ... not even rpmfind had a RPM listed for it.
Perhaps it could be distributed together with Balsa, or put on the main
balsa site and mirrors?

Dr. Fernan Aguero                                    | INTI, Edificio 24
Laboratorio de Genomica y Bioinformatica             | 1650, San Martin,
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnologicas - UNSAM | BA, Argentina