Re: LDAP addressbook

On Tue, 17 July 14:03 Eric Dexter wrote:

> Yeah, I use it daily. I have seen the problem you're looking at
> though...and think that it's giving the error because there are simply
> "too many" replies from the ldap server. I don't know if this is a
> balsa or OpenLDAP problem. I suspect that it's Balsa, since OpenLDAP
> will reply with a HUGE list via the command line.

Its usually up to the app to limit the number of replies by calling
ldap_abandon().  However the server may truncate the response or refuse
to return results if the filter is too general.  Usually the way to get
results is to try a more specific query.

> My LDAP server is structured in a heirarchal fashion, so I simply
> pointed my search root to one of the branches rather than the base of
> the tree. Thereby, reducing the "hits".

All LDAP servers are structured in a heirarchal fashion :)

> I'm suprised that the LDAP address book works the way that it does. It
> actually loads the WHOLE tree FIRST, then as you type a name, it
> searches through the tree. Instead of the way that Eudora etc. handle
> it: You type your search string first...then it queries the server for
> that string only. If I knew *anything* about hacking/coding, I'd work
> on this...but alas, I'm only a (dumb) user.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh.......  That is not how to use LDAP!  This approach
will fail with servers having more than a few hundred entries.

> Eric Dexter

Brian Stafford