(no subject)

>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:09:48 +0100
>From: Ali Akcaagac <ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
>To: balsa-list@gnome.org
>Subject: balsa
>
>hello!
>
>i am interested in using BALSA the reason for this message
>is, that i have one big problem, that i cannot solve myself.
>i use unix/linux for many years now and compiled many programmes
>too. but there was none compared to BALSA that caused that many
>problems.
>
>here the problem:
>
>- compiling and installing balsa, not matter what version
>  or if its CVS, works perfectly here with default settings.
>
>  ./configure; make; make install-strip
>
>- starting up alsa works perfectly, i entered my pop3 mail-
>  boxes as described in the preferences and then i hit
>  "check"
>
>- checking hungup ... **** please continue reading ****
>  the new dialog with the progressbar stays on the screen
>  and wont disappear anymore.

Hi there,

I had the same problems with older versions of Balsa.

Are you sure you can access your pop server? you can try to telnet it
onport 110, then USR and PASS commands to see if you can log in.

If you can, then. There is a serious problem, if it does not say read only
when you open the mail box, it must be a network balsa related problem.

I am not using balsa to retrieve the mail, I use fetchmail, it starts as a
server on startup then gives the messages to sendmail that puts them on the
/var/spool/mail/ this works fine, then balsa sees the mailbox as a local
mailbox and does not have to query any server. It is faster and less
disturbing as fetchmail runs in the background with very little resources.

YOu should give it a try as you can also filter your incoming mail with
sendmail as a relay, easy anti spam and junk mail avoidance.

Cheers,

--