Re: balsa, and other graphics mailer are slow

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:47:07 chbm@chbm.nu wrote:
> look into jwz's rant about netscape3 vs. netscape4 mailfolders.
> he used a std mbox + an index file in netscape3 and it was indeed fast.
> it has some advantages like *not locking in*. ie. you can read you mail
> with whatever mailer you want. if the mbox is not consistent with the
> index you just recreate it.
> the index contains the basic message info for creating the message list
> (from, subject, threading position) and the offset in the mbox.

I would love to see this implemented in balsa. Maybe after midterms next
week I'll give it a go. Loading speed is my last remaining qualm with
balsa, you guys have done a great job!

Oh, and about my 25 megs of mail, it is split up in seperate mailboxes, but
checking them all still takes a long time as libmutt processes them one by
one.

Also, I did some testing and it seems as if all of the time spent loading
mbox mailboxes is in mbox_parse_mailbox() (libmutt/mbox.c), very little is
spent building the clist and threading once it's in memory.

Andrew Ferguson
http://owsla.cjb.net | andrew@owsla.cjb.net
Tintin Webring: http://owsla.cjb.net/tintin/ring/