Re: Bug when typing '('

Berend De Schouwer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When typing '(' in the compose window, in To: or Cc:, the character
> gets sent to the LDAP database, which spits out an error that
> the search failed.
>
> Should LibBalsaAddressEntry filter these out, or should
> LibBalsaAddressBookLdap filter these out?

I assume that this is a clash with the LDAP filters syntax, see RFC 2254
The parentheses must be quoted as follows when generating the LDAP filter,
my personal feeling is that this should be at a low level in the LDAP
specific code and should not percolate up into the user interface.

[Quote from RFC 2254]
   If a value should contain any of the following characters

            Character       ASCII value
            ---------------------------
            *               0x2a
            (               0x28
            )               0x29
            \               0x5c
            NUL             0x00

    the character must be encoded as the backslash '\' character (ASCII
    0x5c) followed by the two hexadecimal digits representing the ASCII
    value of the encoded character. The case of the two hexadecimal
    digits is not significant.

Brian Stafford