Re: Wish list . .

Noticed noone responded to this yet, so I thought I would. :)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Phil Rhoades wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The program is going great - keep it up!
>
> A couple of things that would be nice to have in Balsa (for me at least)
> that Eudora has:
>
> - Deleting items with the Delete key

I think you might be able to do this with GNOME key bindings... try
searching the archives for this.

> - Automatically created separate files for attachments instead of hexed
> text in the mail message - (or does this go against some RFC or something?)

This wouldn't be a good idea for IMAP mailboxes... the concept of IMAP is
that the data is stored on the server, not your local machine.

> - Eudora keeps them in a dir called "Attach" which does get a bit big after
> a while - maybe there could be some more sophistication there . .
> - searching folders for text

I think this is a long-term feature that is waiting on some groundwork
elements before it gets implemented. I believe it's tied to the work on
filters? Can someone confirm/correct?

> - importing Eudora folders

I believe Eudora folders are actually stored in mbox format. Try copying
them over to ~/mail/ (or ~/Mail/, i forget which one is correct) and
adding them in.

I believe that Eudora uses the .toc files to speed up searches, but I
don't think they really mangle the mbox format. Something to keep in mind
about them is that these are the folks who develop QPOPper for UNIX, so
they're no stranger to UNIX. I believe I've done this in the past, and it
worked fine.

> Then there would be one more Win thing I could get rid of (I use Win4Lin on
> a RH7 machine) - once I can change all my mail to Balsa and get Kylix (the
> C++ version) . . I'll be just about in heaven . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> -
> Philip Rhoades

I'm still waiting on EverQuest and a decent web browser (though Galeon +
Mozilla is showing a lot of promise with my latest testing of Galeon and
Mozilla 0.7). Konqueror is too standards-anal for me, Netscape is too
unstable, and Mozilla is too bloated. The Mozilla engine is actually quite
useable, and Galeon cuts out a lot of the Mozilla cruft... something to
keep an eye on.

--
Nathan P. Clemons
Sun Microsystems Certified Solaris Administrator (2.6)