Re: bug with the Message-ID ?

On 2001.12.03 18:06:20 +0000 Peter Rexigel wrote:
> Sorry: yes I initialized this discussion ;-)
>
> I use compuserve.de as my ISP and wanted to use balsa as my emai-client.
>
> My summary of the whole turnaround:
>
> 1. It is NOT possible to use balsa (btw.: also KDE's kmail)  writing
> emails.
> 2. The reason for this is that compuserve does not accept the field
> Message   	   -ID in the email-header.
>  3. There is no chance that this will be solved because CIS is not
> compatible     with the RFC 2822 standard.
> 4. The only solution might be that CIS would change their handling of
> emails     that confirm with the RFC 2822 standard (probably no hope).

It's quite possible to make one of the multiple smtp proxys in existance
dumbify a message till it's compuserve.de compliant. If the problem is just
the message-id header it should be trivial (the famous perl 1-liner :))
It just doesn't belong in any balsa or any rfc compliant mua imho.
If the compuserve.de decide to support their brokenness and write the proxy
they can use it with any mua, not just balsa.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds