Re: bug with the Message-ID ?

On Sun,  2 December 22:49 Paul Lewis wrote:

> > The message ID is in fact generated by Compuserve not Netscape. NS
> > will submit the message without a message ID while Balsa does generate
> > one. CIS sees that as relaying and rejects the message, as far as I
> (also
> > a  Compuserve subscriber) know.
> > To allow for such braindead mail servers, there really needs to be an
> > option to generate _no_ message ID
> >
> > Melanie
>
> Then isn't the solution to set Balsa or more properly Esmtp to submit
> rather than relay mail. If I recall from the list archives that is just
> a matter of entering the smtp mail server without the port number.

That will cause libESMTP to default to 587.

> Nominating port 25 implies mail relay?

libESMTP always assumes it is submitting mail, even on port 25.  In short,
libESMTP does not perform MX lookup, only A/AAAA to locate the submission
server.  The distinction in semantics between submission and relay is really
made by the server, indeed, it cannot be made by a client.

> Assuming CIS allows mail submission of course.

Well, they must do :) otherwise mail could never enter the SMTP infrastructure!

--
Brian Stafford