Re: PATCH: Compose Coordinates *FINAL 3*

On 2001.08.22 09:27:53 +0200 Maciej Golebiewski wrote:
> Sorry, can't help it, but this example (and the other one, too)
> with all these data looks more like a hex editor not an email
> program :)

yes, thats why my first intention was only to show one single text-
line in a statusbar, simple, easy, clean. but that statusbar idea
with cells aint bad at all.

> Words and lines count IMHO would better fit into a separate dialog
> activated by "Message stats" menu option or something like that.

well this depends, getting the x/y origin from the text takes the
same time calculation than counting the words or the size in bytes.
they would be really nice to have in a statusbar.

e.g. when i need to type a message i want immitiatly to know how much
bytes i have written e.g. if i write some stuff to a mailinglist like
balsa mailinglist i want to know if i exceed the 40kb limmit or not.

counting the words, as said is one GRATIS feature since it loops in
the calculation routine itself. same goes for lines index, x/y.

> What is Index??? I really think that these fields clutter the
> interface too much.

index is the real offset of the cursor within the text, human reads
the text in x/y coordinates index show you how much chars you are
away from the startorigin 0.

e.g.

0

                      #

the # shows you how many chars you were away from null.

> As for cursor position display maybe it would be better to format
> it the same way xemacs does in column/line minor modes?

s/xemacs/vim/g

now we are correct again :)

> If you choose to display the char code, you should take care of
> multibyte chars too.

no. not for our textfield. because its gchar which is a straight cast
to char which is typedefined as 0-256. i may be wrong so correct me.
but extending this is easy.

> OK, enough ranting for now :)

no problem comments are ok, this keeps me going.

well as i said this 'feature' is just an IDEA, nothing that should go
into CVS or whatever. just an idea that i state as you see i have
nailed the statusbar and the cells straight into the code labeled
FIXME: the intention for me doing this was simple and clean.

- i want to have an X/Y origin to know where i am in the text easy to
  format e.g. lines etc.

- i want to know in what line i am and how many lines the whole text
  has.

- i want to know how much bytes the current text has and how many
  words i have written.

- the char thingy is something nice to have, if you include e.g. an
  windows like text with all these chars, that are not viewable in
  gtk window, then you know fast, what char it is, what code it has
  and what you get if char < 0x20.

its just a piece of stuff that i have written for my own pleasurement
and for my own needs, since i dont want to keep it a secret, i offer
this to you so you could participate with it. its neither spoken with
anyone, its not planned to go permanently into balsa and its not
planned that this should be the end of code.

this is only for my own pleasurement but we could add a page into the
preferences, where we allow the user to either 'disable that stuff'
or to customize the statusbar for their needs e.g. with togglebuttons.
so people could decide for themselves if they want all or if they dont
want certain things. but thats simple to add. for now i just help
christophe to satisfy his needs with this, since i think he likes this
feature.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de