Re: size/lines clist initialisation fix.

On 2001.08.12 23:30:04 +0200 Maciej Golebiewski wrote:

hello,

> It wasn't a bug, it was a feature! :)

no, it was not even a feature, it simply was not initialized. if
you want to have it calculated dynamically then you should take
care about whats going in within balsa. it still getting calculated
dynamically, but now i save the preferences correctly.

> IMHO, default pixel values are not good idea because:
> - 640 or any other fixed value might look "funny" on a
> strange screen (e.g. super-hyper high resolution) with strange
> fonts (e.g. super-hyper wide).

no, not correct, we enforce balsa to open on a 640x480 pixel window,
the items in that clist are forced using some default values as
initialisation, these values are getting saved into the preferences
file, so you have the same widths as you left them. otherwise you
open them up dynamically always, means always a different size and
you need to set them to new values always.

you could save this values in the ~/.gnome/balsa preferences.
they are called like this:

IndexNumWidth=35
IndexStatusWidth=16
IndexAttachmentWidth=16
IndexFromWidth=170
IndexSubjectWidth=260
IndexDateWidth=140
IndexSizeWidth=40    <--- this one got added by me

you didn't take care about balsa's preferences the last size item
doesn't get saved in any reasons and that's quite uncool now we have
these items let's say from numwidth to datewidth we put them into a
640 picture. the default predefined values in balsa (for the
preferences) are set to 640 pixels only for these e.g.

numberwidth     20
statuswidth     20
attachmentwidth 20
fromwith        180
subjectwidth    200
datewidth       200
               ------------
                640 pixels

now you add an item but the range of 640 is evaluated already now
what do you do ? what happens with the last item, it wasn't reasonabely
set for prefs, no default values, no values for prefs, no initial
values, that thing could be somewhere in the clist, and if we open
a scrollable window inside that then you might be getting a size field
that is 100000 pixels wide for any unlucky and sad circumstances.

> - every time a new column or widget is added
> the sizes will have to be recalculated
> again by hand to fit the 640 pixels. This
> seems sucky to me, because one of the
> reasons I am using a computer is NOT to have
> to recalculate stuff by hand :)

no, it's not meant to recalculate things by hand, you really need to look
inside the sourcecode to understand how balsa operates, it's only meant
as initial values, to set things correctly for the first time. look at
my values above after i've enlargened the window to 1024x786 the values
are getting calculated dynamically and are getting written correctly to
the configuration.

> I think it's OK to say the window width
> should be 640, but the the widget sizes
> should be left to the widget lib for
> automatic calculation. And if someone still
> wants to specify column widths explicitely,
> these widths should be expressed as number
> of characters, not pixels.

look inside the balsa code, i keep following the rules of the code.
but feel free to explain me how you gonna go to save these values to
the prefs :) i am interested in your reply :)

if you don't save the values, or don't initialize all values correctly
then it's never taken care for it. every app i know off initializes
their values and set default values for preferences. even that for me
most hated new GConf takes care that all prefs are beeing filled with
default values, so you don't end up with uninitialized stuff.

your explainations are correct but unfortunately offtopic and don't
solve the current problem. besides mentioned that you didn't take any
care about 2 CASE statements that only go from 0-5 and skip the 6th
last and new item. because of this, the NASA lost some of their weassels
because their onboard computer segfaulted due some CASES that the programers
didn't paid attention for.

cheers Ali

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac