Re: Suggestions

On 2001.04.26 06:01 Roeland Huys wrote:
//snip

> - Newsgroup support

I agree with the group, I don't want to see balsa bloated with newsgroup functions. I subscribe to the the Unix philosophy of "the best tool for the job", and I think balsa can be the best email program. I'd hate to see the focus change.

> - IMAP support: removal of remote mailboxes

I think in order for more people to use this as their "business" email client, balsa must have more robust IMAP (and LDAP) support. But I think the developers are working on it already, and making great strides. Good work guys!

> - Filter support (but that whas clear already)

What's wrong with procmail? Although I'd like to see a gui interface to procmail within balsa...

> - When moving a message to another folder (like deleting), the message
> scope should remain on the same place instead of moving. (I'm more
> interested in the NEXT message instead of the messages in the trash folder)

Close the trash folder, and this problem goes away..

> - The shortcut keys should be more standard like deleting a message: DEL
> key or CTRL-X. Also it would be nice to have a shortcut for sending a
> composed message.

I agree...more standardized shortcut navigation. I'm a Eudora fan so:

CTRL-D : delete message
CTRL-N : new message
CTRL-R : reply to message
CTRL-TAB : change window focus to next open window
CTRL-F4 : close open window

I don't like to touch the mouse if I don't have to...and when using Eudora and Forte' Agent, I can manuever without ever needing to.

> - In a mail, you often see an URL. It would be nice to make a link to my
> favorite browser so with a single click you can view the page.

Doesn't Klipper do this for you (in KDE)? Is there something like Klipper in Gnome?

> - Remote control of the application. In the browser, you often see a
> "mailto:email@server.com" link. When you click it, you can start a command
> line command. It would be nice to interact with Balsa that way, like to
> compose a new message without starting new Balsa-sessions every time.

hmm...

> I hope somebody is interested in my remarks, they would somehow improve the
> program I think...
>
> Looking forward for the new version,

Just a rebuttal, not meant to be personal. :-)

--
Eric Dexter (who wishes he knew how to hack, to help out)