Re: Three minor bugs.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jason A . Smith wrote:

> Sorry about not replying earlier, I have been really busy.  I don't
> believe it had the .txt file extension.  It was a patch file so it
> probably ended with .diff or .patch.
>
> Since file extensions aren't really meaningful (or even necessary) on
> UNIX, would it possible to use some other method to determine the mime
> type/file contents?  Maybe use the file command, although executing an
> external command isn't that elegant of a solution either.  Is file
> universal enough and does it have standard output text that can be
> used like this?  On our AIX computers at school it was almost
> completely useless since it almost always said "data".  Do any of the
> gnome libraries have a function that looks for a file's magic type?

They do, and we have tried using them, however they often mis-identify
things like pdf files as text/plain.  I have a possible solution in my head,
but I'll have to get home and try it out first.

> One other minor thing I have noticed - the alias expansion appears to
> use the X-selection for the inverse highlighting.  This is fine, but
> if I have other text selected it de-selects it on me.  Isn't there a
> way to select it but not export it or make it the global X-selection
> so it doesn't interfere with other selected text I may be using in
> another application?

AFAIK, no.

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther                      "I came to kick ass and chew gum...
mguenthe@engr.uvic.ca                 and I'm all out of gum"