Re: Three minor bugs.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:39:36 Matthew Guenther wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Jason A . Smith wrote:
> > Bugs:
> [snip]
> > 2) If I attach a text/plain file to a message, it gets attached
> > correctly, and doesn't encode it since it doesn't have to, but
> > it sets the mimetype to be:

> > Reading this message in balsa will not allow you to display the
> > attachment in the message pane, you can only save it.  Shouldn't
> > it set the mimetype to text/plain and allow you to view it?
>
> Balsa determines the mimetype from the filename, did the file you
> attached
> have a .txt suffix?
>
> MBG

Sorry about not replying earlier, I have been really busy.  I don't
believe it had the .txt file extension.  It was a patch file so it
probably ended with .diff or .patch.

Since file extensions aren't really meaningful (or even necessary) on
UNIX, would it possible to use some other method to determine the mime
type/file contents?  Maybe use the file command, although executing an
external command isn't that elegant of a solution either.  Is file
universal enough and does it have standard output text that can be
used like this?  On our AIX computers at school it was almost
completely useless since it almost always said "data".  Do any of the
gnome libraries have a function that looks for a file's magic type?

Another possibility is to allow the user to specify/override the mime
type and encoding that balsa chooses by default.

One other minor thing I have noticed - the alias expansion appears to
use the X-selection for the inverse highlighting.  This is fine, but
if I have other text selected it de-selects it on me.  Isn't there a
way to select it but not export it or make it the global X-selection
so it doesn't interfere with other selected text I may be using in
another application?

~Jason

P.S.  What about the message counting bug?

--

| Jason A. Smith                    E-mail:  smithj4@alum.rpi.edu      |