Re: Deleting Mails and Syncing Folders to Disk

Hi David, and thanks for your reply..

Firstly, I am using the latest CVS version of balsa...

Secondly I have cc'd this back to balsa-list, I hope you don't mind.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, David Pickens wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > Firstly - I wanted a per mailbox option to not move a mail to trash when
> > it is deleted, but to flag it as deleted in the mailbox instead. I would
> > use this on folders contaiing mailing lists, since I don't want those
> > messages mixing with my personal ones in the trash can.
>
> This is certainly possible, but to do this on a per mailbox basis we need
> something like a mailbox properties dialog... which we don't yet have.

If I right click on a mailbox in the mailbox list then there is an option
'Edit Mailbox Properties' which brings up a dialog (code in
mailbox-conf.[ch]) containing some (not many though) properites for the
mailbox, I have added a check box 'Delete to Trash' to this and a field in
the Mailbox structure.

The only problem I am having is modifying the balsa_message_delete
function to obey this new setting, you say it is posible, can you tell me
how, or give me a pointer.

> > I managed to get a simple GUI hooked up, but failed to find out how to
> > mark the messages as deleted, rather than moving them.. I tried
> > optionally calling message_delete() rather than message_move() in
> > balsa_message_delete() but that just deletes the message straight away
> > (which might be a nice third option I suppose). I can't find any way to
> > set a deleted flag - can anyone help?
> >

> I wrote the code for 'Trash' support -- but, the tendancy is to move balsa
> away from a pine-like (ie text-based) model where things are flagged as
> deleted and then later committed.  What would you think about simply
> deleting the messages?

I wouldn't be too bothered if messages were just deleted (that is the
behavior I have got so far), but I would rather have the option to delete
it, flag it or move it to an arbitrary trash folder.

For example - I would like to keep my local inbox trash in the local trash
folder, and I would rather that trash from mailing lists (which are in
separate folders) was flagged in the mailing list folder, so it doesn't
get mixed with my 'personal trash'. I also have an imap inbox which I
would like to use the flagging behavior with.

> > The other thing I wanted to do was to sync a folder to disk when another
> > one was selected on the mailbox list, the 'commit current' menu option
> > doesn't seem to do this - I tried calling mx_sync_mailbox() but that
> > caused seg-faults and other errors, such as "sync: mbox modified, but no
> > modified messages! (report this bug)".. does anyone know how to do what
> > I want?...
>
> Are you using the CVS code?  There shouldn't, at this point, be a commit
> current option given the changes I committed to the user interface (the
> elimination of the notebook tabs, etc.).  Syncing folders is complicated
> in that it's handled by mutt, and mutt has its own way of doing things.
> It /is/ synced when changed, but it's not necessarly immediately written
> to disk -- this should always happen correctly, though, when mailboxes are
> opened and closed.  (And /this/ now happens in the background,
> automatically, based on the time of the folders last use.  It's
> automatically closed when it times out.)

I like the new tabless look etc, but there is still a 'Mailboxes -> Commit
Current' menu item, which seems to be hooked to 'mailbox_commit_changes'
which in turn calls 'mailbox_commit_flagged_changes'. Perhaps this could
(should?) be changed to also sync the mailbox with the disk version?
Perhaps also the mailbox could be sync'd (in the background) when it
becomes non-foreground in the GUI?

I have also noticed that balsa doesn't always (more like never I think)
notice new messages (delivered using fetchmail/procmail), unless I
explicitly close the mailbox from the context menu and then re-open it,
which is a pain. It would be nice if the 'check new mail' button would see
if the foreground mailbox's disk file had been updated... I will try and
look into that at some point.

Thanks,
Ian.