Re: Filtering

I'm not a developer of Balsa, but I'm going to throw in my .25 cents
(inflation you know).  I have to agree that we should be thinking that
most people aren't gonna know how to install sendmail OR procmail on their
own boxes (and shouldn't need to run them (imho)).  Remember, the
goal (Linus) is world domination on the desktops.
However, searches/views/filtering are very necessary to have in the
product.  Though, I must admit, there is quite a bit of overlap in the
group that is technical enough to install and configure procmail and those
that WANT filtering (Joe user won't want/understand/know about filtering).
Hmm, having said that...what exactly am I arguing for?:)
I'm not sure I know...but I do know that I like being able to filter..I'm
a sysadmin and very much a Unix/C "nerd".  To me the logical place for ME
to filter is in the MTA (whether that means I use balsa to pop/imap
messages from the provider) or I use fetchmail/sendmail to pop/imap them
off the provider.  It's also nice to be able to filter on messages in the
current mailbox also (once it gets so big and you want to break it down
yet again for manageability).
I'm arguing for balsa having the functionality integral to the core balsa
mailbox code (I think).

A very confused user (not confused by balsa or filtering, but just
confused):),
Danny Barron