Mutt, libmutt, IMAP and the way forward

Hmm.

Hullo, all.

I have spent a few hours poking around balsa's IMAP code. As far as I can
see, all the 'functional' bit of it is in fact libmutt. I didn't investigate
how much this is true for the other mailbox types.

Given that we do make heavy use of libmutt, why do we have it included in
our tree, rather than just linking against the upstream libmutt?  If we did
the latter, then we'd find it much easier to cope with new upstream versions
(IMAP support, in particular, is improving quite fast in mutt; indeed I'm
writing this message in mutt).

Is the plan to migrate away from libmutt, perhaps?

Anyhow, I'm keen to bash some more powerful IMAP support in (listing
folders, which is possible in mutt 1.1, and getting folder info [# unseen
messages, etc] which isn't), but I'm not at all sure on the best way to do it.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable