Compiling problems

Hello:

I'm a very new Linux user, and I'm running into a problem when trying to
compile Balsa.
I'm running RedHat 5.2 with Gnome/Enlightenment.

I picked up all the required libraries (the rpms) listed here:
http://www.balsa.net/download.html

I have everything installed, then, while root, I issued:

[root@localhost balsa-0.4.6.2]# ./configure

As the Install file told me to do. Then, everything starts and looks ok
down to about here:
.
.
.
.
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version .= 1.1.1... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occurred. This usually means GTK was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script; /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure; error; GTK not installed
[root@localhost balsa-0.4.6.2]#

I dont know where to go from here and I've tried everything I know to try,
being the newbie that I am.
I also made sure I downloaded and rpm'ed the correct prerequisite libraries.

I have GTK 1.1.2 I think, but should this matter?

What exactly is CVS? I picked up the newest Snapshot of Balsa (thinking
this might solve my problem), but when I go to issue ./configure (as root)
it wont do anything..am I supposed to be doing this with snapshots? (don't
laugh:)

I want a mail client for Linux that a little more advanced than Pine :) heh heh

Any advice/corrections?
(I wanted the rpms for Balsa, but I'm kind of glad I had to do this so I
could learn to fix stuff like this in the future.)  :(

Thanks very much for any help -

Brian