Re: Balsa Development Plans

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 03:58:40PM +0100, Knut Neumann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Regarding the latest traffic on balsa here, I would suggest to set up
> something like a development plan. At leeast to me it seems like there are
> lots of people willing to help, but speaking for myself, it is hard to
> contribute code without knowing what the core developers would like to be done next.

In a bit of boredom, I've thrown together some 'view full headers' code.
It works, but I'd want to redo a bit of it before submitting it (it views
it in a new window; it'd be nicer to, when activated, separate the
balsa_message widget into a vpane.)

One thing I've had problems with is recreating windows.  The specific case
I've been experimenting with is this: open an index, with or without
message previews enabled.  Toggle this setting; it won't take effect until
you close and reopen indexes.

I've tried various things.  I've added another widget to IndexChild,
ic->container.  I functionalized its creation, so all
index_child_create_view has to do is:

  IndexChild *ic;

  ic = INDEX_CHILD (child);

  ic->container = gtk_vbox_new(FALSE, 0);
  ic->index = balsa_index_new ();
  if (balsa_app.previewpane)
    ic->message = balsa_message_new ();
  index_child_create_vpane(ic);

plus the normal initialization, and returns ic->container.
index_child_create_vpane creates either the scrolled window or vpane
of two scrolled windows, containing ic->index and, if it exists, ic->message.

To make the preference balsa_app.previewpane take effect, I've tried
widget_ref() and unparent()'ing ic->index, creating or destroying
ic->message as needed, destroying the contents of ic->container, and
calling index_child_create_vpane() again.  This is where my problems
start: I can't seem to cleanly delete the contents of ic->container
(which is always a vbox, for simplicity of testing the idea) and readd
to it.  I've also tried deleting ic->container completely, creating
a new vbox, and putting it in what was the old ic->container->parent,
but this seems to confuse the MDI code (understandably.)  In fact,
I can't even take ic->index, remove it from its parent, and put it
back in.

This seems like a relatively commonplace operation ... but bashing away with
gtk's documentation as it is right now, it's uphill for me. :)

--
 - Glenn Maynard