Re: Compiling debian packages..

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Stuart Parmenter wrote:

> >Me again!
> >
> >Two things, so far:
> >
> >1) Any particular reason the debian/ directory was omitted from the
> >official source .tar.gz?  Ideally, I'd like to always have working debian/
> >files in the main distribution, then people can easily build their own
> >debs. (And, with any luck, we can make the package debian native,
> >requiring no debian .diff.gz)
> No reason, sorry.  The debian directory is apparently just not in one of the
> Makefiles that it needs to be in to get put in the dist tarball.  We can fix
> this in the next release.

Fine.

> >2) The help/C directory doesn't compile:
> Is there a reason we are using docbook 3.1?  I don't think any dist has 3.1
> packages yet so this will probably cause a bunch of problems.

I guess that'll be it, then :-)

Mini-rant: Even when developing new software, always work with the current
released stable versions of other libraries unless you're quite convinced
you need the new features in the new versions.  If, for ex. balsa 0.6.1
were to depend on a new gnome-libs as yet unreleased, this would vastly
decrease its usefulness. I see far too much software I'd like to try, but
it's too much hassle for me to even test it out since it requires me to
upgrade to the CVS version of (for example) the gnome or KDE libraries.
Ditto all of the above for docbook!

Jules