Re: Dear Hong Kong team member

Hi all on Asia Summit mailing list,

(Hmm... Max, as I just told you on gtalk, you wrote quite long XD)

I am Sammy Fung from Hong Kong. I has been participated local F/OSS community in Hong Kong for 16 years. Currently I am webmaster of opensource.hk and call myself "opensource.hk community coordinator" now. I and opensource.hk works closely with HKLUG and its new chairman Dr Haggen So (he is representives and submitter of our proposal to bet GNOME.Asia 2011/2012), to organise local F/OSS meetups/events.

I was co-founder and ex-chairman of Hong Kong Linux User Group (1997-2001,2004) and now serving as one of advisors at Opensource Application Knowledge Assocation (OAKA) - a local organisation in Hong Kong which did some local F/OSS education/software projects (remark: OAKA is now inactive).

I was coordinator of GNOME3 Party in Hong Kong, and it is glad for me to meet Taiwan GNOME community and making new friends in Asia & global. I was also team leader of Software Freedom Day Hong Kong in 2009-2011.

I know some of Taiwan F/OSS groups and community events from internet for many years. COSCUP and OSDC.tw are two largest F/OSS conference. It is great that I visited COSCUP last year! (so I did say hi to Max, haha. XD)

Personally I don't know much of F/OSS community in mainland China, but I visited a "Open Source Camp (Guangzhou) 2008" alone in Software Freedom Day 2008, and introduced Hong Kong F/OSS community at their unconference.

And I uses Linux/GNU, Ubuntu, Python, Drupal, PHP at home and work.

It's glad for Hong Kong to host GNOME Asia Summit 2012 in Hong Kong, and thanks for GNOME Asia Committee. It is our first big and regional F/OSS community conference in Hong Kong (except commerical expo/conference, eg. LinuxWorld/LinuxExpo Hong Kong 8-12 years ago), I hopes it will make the growth of Hong Kong F/OSS community.