Re: GNOME Speakers & Freebies

On 06/03/2011 11:11 PM, Stormy Peters wrote:
Fred,

I think it is ok for people to refer to projects like Koha and GNOME as
open source. We use the words "free and open source software" because we
would like to also promote freedom.

I think in this particular instance they are copying the project introduction itself AND removing free from it. If the project developers feel to highlight their project is FOSS the least one can do is respect this wish.

You could say it is nitpicking but for me it is not very ok. Mohd and the GNOME community already had a lengthy thread on this topic a month or 2 ago with a few of recommendations.

I've removed Mohd from the cc list as this is merely an opinion discussion and not much relevant as anything else.

I have to admit I didn't really like the BIG Microsoft Azure image on the front page... didn't know Azure was open source software ;-) (which doesn't mean I don't think it's not ok for GNOME to go if Microsoft is there, on the contrary).

Seriously though the conference seems highly cloud focused and I am not sure we have much to tell. We are also receiving the request a bit late in the race, while everyone else has already a confirmed speaker.

Let's see what Mohd has to say about his expectations from our Speaker.

Fred