Re: GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 budget

On 12/03/2010 12:14 AM, Brian Cameron wrote:

Fred:

I'd like to follow up on the proposal from Utian / Indonesia as my
connection had issues during the Q&A discussion. There are a few
important points/questions that must be raised:
1. Budget wise: this is a grassroot/community managed conference. While
HK proposal has a very reasonable budget in line with previous year
spendings (US 10k-15k), the budget of 48K in Indonesia is over the roof!
2. Sponsorship section: are the sponsors listed companies you already
have dealing with? Do you know how much money they would be willing to
give?

Why is the Indonesia budget so high? Perhaps they are inexperienced at
putting together a good competitive budget. So it might be worthwhile
to encourage them to find ways to make the budget more in-line with
expectations.

I had a quick look at the details. T-shirts are too expensive, marketing materials alone cost almost USD 10K. So I think they have a sourcing issue. Then they account for hardware purchases which I don't think is necessary (I didn't go into calculating those). Also we're buying 750 pens with 300 at 5000 Rupiah and 350 at 10,000 Rupiah... I doubt we need to buy those and I wonder about the price discrepancy.

Overall my impression is that every line in the budget is too high and often not needed. They can always look at the HK budget pricing and each lines in that budget. Sure some items might be missing but 10% are allocated to 'miscellaneous' which should definitely cover a few extra extension cables and some tapes or last minute cost. I think HK is probably the most expensive of the 3 places (India, Indonesia and HK) so there must be ways to do better in Bali especially around April. April is the low season period, no tourist, no Australians, no nothing. So accommodation and venue wise "people" should be fighting to get us.

Last but not least the Indonesian proposal in Bali doesn't have any information about the venue, though it cost a mere $8.5K.

You also need to take into account that the HK proposal includes accommodation and food, coffee, etc for 50 people (based on 2 people per room) for the first 3 days/nights (hackfest) regardless of the travel subsidies (US 6.6K) and that includes the venue as well. Changes are that people without travel subsidies will be paying for their own share of this cost.

I would strongly recommend the Indonesian team to go on site, visit places and sponsors. That's what Pockey and I did last week and obviously it has been useful.

Should I say I don't mind going to Bali to help out next week? ;-)

For example, if one budget included an income of charging people at the
door and the other did not, then this would make one budget look much
better than the other since the overall cost would be lower for the
one accepting fees. I'm not sure if this is a good example in this
situation, though.

-> Remember that we're hoping to cover all conference cost (including
travel subsidies) with the sponsors we identify and secure. The higher
the budget the more difficult the task will be. Looking the Indonesian
proposal makes me think we're targeting almost a 100K budget (with 40K
for travel subsidies, based on the pre-event survey). Does this really
makes sense?
Should the Indonesian team (together with the committee) be able to
raise that amount of money, does it really make sense to spend 50K in
the conference alone, when I am sure we can run such an event for 1/3 of
the amount.

If the Indonesian team has not already secured funding, then they
probably should do so quickly. If they did have funding already, then
that would, I'm sure, impact our decision. If they have no clear plan
for securing funding, then this would be a red flag to me.

So when making your proposal to the committee, think about those issues:
- costs
- ability to cover those costs
- benefits for the GNOME foundation (vs buying hardware that will never
be reused for example)

Good points.

Brian