Re: [anjuta-list] Anjuta cannot find a debugger

Hello Sébastien and Tony,

Am 27.05.2017 um 09:18 schrieb Sébastien Granjoux:
Good, but what is the role of this -no-pie option?

I haven't found it in the latest documentation. A shared library is not executable alone, I don't
understand how an option can change that.

It's documented here:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html

There is also a Wikipedia article about PIE (position independend executables):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Position-independent_code#Position-independent_executables

In short: A PIE executable can be relocated in memory to make it harder to exploit memory bugs.

Apparently tools like file (libmagic) don't recognize PIE executables as executables, but as libraries
instead.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Mühlenhoff