[anjuta-list] Board game basics

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a board game using gtkmm. Each tile of the game needs to have a (possibly) different color, and some Text with letters that may vary in color. After three weeks, I cant figure which approach might work.

I'm using a label to allow pango and colored letters. The label is put into an event box. The event box might provide the background colors. The event box is put into a button. The button provides the access to mouse and click events. Then a bunch of these goes into a grid (think chess board). Which is part of a window.

All are connected, and all are "show". No matter what I do, the label and event box never seem to show. Never see the top label. Likewise, never get any color from the event box.

The window, grid, and buttons show, including the label that are fundamental to the button. The buttons respond to the mouse, arrow keys, and mouse clicks. The text changes as desired when program runs.

Is this approach fundamentally wrong?  What???

Larry