Re: [Anjuta-list] Woes with simple project

Hi!

> 1) Problems with paths to oaf.h and bonobo.h
>
> Though I've compiled piles of programs which contain references to bonobo,
> for some reason the simple project detected an old bonobo.h (0.5.x or so)
> Should bonobo be included in a 'simple' project? Maybe include the
> #include line but comment it out?
>
> It seems the configure.in file doesn't contain a test for bonobo either.

Bonobo is a dependecy of libgnomeui. Anyway, maybe we should delete the
GNOME project because it just depends on deprecated libraries. Use the
gtk+ project instead.

> 2) "No rule to make target en.gmo"
>
> It seems the default project takes LINGUAS from the environment variable
> with the same name (which I defined because I read somewhere this limits
> the amount of translations installed). I had to edit Makefile to remove
> the languages (at least till I get to the point of needing them)
>
> I suggest leaving the language list empty (in configure.in) on creation
> of the minimal project. (or, as in 1, add a comment)

You should *not* override this variable unless you know what your are
doing. There is no need to limit the amount of installed translation
(ok, you will probably waste 1MB more disk-space for GNOME) and doing it
will obviously break configuration of most packages (that don't contain
an en translation).

Note that LINGUAS is not used anymore in modern configure.ac but instead
the file po/LINGUAS which lists the languages is installed.

> 3) Lines in compiler output like:
>
> In file included from xxxx
>
> are counted as errors in the stats at the right (even if they end on a
> warning). But lines like
>
> "No rule to make target..."
>
> (which actually break building) are not detected.

Errors are everything that is send to stderr (and does not contain
"warning:". I don't know why make sends this message to stdout instead
of stderr but it seems say see is as non-critical.

> Please take this as constructive criticism! (I read somewhere on the 'net
> that Anjuta is for experienced programmers only. It would be a pity to
> exclude new - less experienced - users).

No, it's actually not made for experienced programmers only. We more
have the opposite goal. But newcomers should not change environment
variables when they don't know the effect ;)