Re: [Anjuta-list] Help wanted from beginner: installation

Hi, Johannes. Thank you for the reply.

I understand there's installation preference. However, I'm just a developer. I have no control of root access. My current Linux version from "uname" is as follows, can anyone tell me which older release of Anjuta I could use?

Linux venus 2.4.21-50.ELsmp #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Most of my colleagues are still using vi and emacs as C++ editor. Before trying Anjuta and showing them the IDE can really improve the development efficiency, I'm afraid it's not easy to persuade the IT to upgrade the system because of the overhead.

So my point is if Anjuta wants to have more users, providing a more flexible and easier installation method is a good idea. Thanks!

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
Hi!

> I'm a C++ developer, and have little knowledge about software installation in Unix. I just wonder if Anjuta can provide an easier installation method, say, have everything required by the package and I just need to install it by simly run a binary. If anything is missing or not meet the lowest version requirement, Anjuta package can include it itself. This way I believe Anjuta can attract more users like me. Right now it assumes I should know a lot more in order to use it.

Well, the prefered installation method for anjuta is to use the packages
provided by your distribution, in this case Red Hat. There should be a
rpm available that can be installed using the tools provided by Red Hat.

Anyway, as even your GLib is too old you probably need to update to a
more recent version of Red Hat/Fedora, first.