Re: [Anjuta-list] Breakpoints not working in attached processes

Hello Andreas,

Selon Andreas Volz <lists brachttal net>:
> What not works is setting breakpoints while attaching to a existing
> process. For example I use Anjuta to debug Enlightenment 0.17. Attach
> works and if E17 crash the thread, stack, locals,... windows work well.
> But breakpoints don't work. E17 doesn't stop at any breakpoints. I
> tried also to debug some other attached applications with the same
> result. Is there a known problem with breakpoints in attached
> processes? Should I open a new bug?

The fact is that I have never tried to use breakpoint in an attached program.

I have just tried, I have put 3 breakpoints in anjuta/libegg/test-tree-utils.c
program at line 270, 342 and 33. I have run it, attached the debugger to it and
clicked on continue. The breakpoints are working here, if I double click on one
row it stops. It seems ok.

Then, I'm running a modified version of Anjuta as I'm still working on the
debugger but I don't think it should change anything. You can try to use a more
recent version of gdb, I still get some problems with it. I'm currently using
gdb 6.6.50.20070901-cvs (compiled from cvs sources).

Your case has perhaps something different, I don't know what. Perhaps you could
try with the test-tree-utils program in Anjuta like I have done.
Normally when you attach to E17, you should see that Anjuta try to send
breakpoint to gdb, breakpoints ID number should be set to a non null value. And
in the message window you should see something like:
-break-insert _your_source_file_name_:_your_line_number_
done,bkpt={number="1",type="breakpoint",disp="keep",enabled="y",addr="0x08049b09",
func="row_activated",file=_your_source_file_name,fullname=_your_source_full_path_name_,
line=_your_line_number_,times="0"}
If you see something else, typically an error message, it will be useful for me.

Definitively, it would be nice to file a bug report for this with as much
information as possible.