Re: [Anjuta-list] Anjuta 2.1.2 - Symbol browser

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 13:49 +0200, Stefan Söffing wrote:
> I think there are just too few people working on it (what I don't
> understand - since there is no other IDE for Gnome available). Anjuta
> 2.x looks promising and I think I will eventually use it, as I used
> 1.x for some time now.
>
> Igor: I also tried Eclipse - installation needed hundreds of megabyte
> and the program was _slow_
>
> - Stefan

There is indeed no other GNOME-specific IDE available, but that wouldn't
stop people from using KDevelop, Code::Blocks et al, even if they do
look crap under GNOME. Actually in my humble opinion, Anjuta 1.4.2 is
still the best IDE under Linux out there. I used to use the
(closed-source, gah!) freeware Borland IDE until I decided to actively
look for a decent open-source one. Code::Blocks is all well and good
under Windows, but I think the Linux version sucks, sadly. Still, I use
it for porting my stuff to Windows.

As you say, Eclipse is slow. In fact, in spite of what the Java-fanboys
say, Java will never really be suited to anything but simpler apps and
games, as for the most part Java apps are slowed drastically by the
overheads of the JVM, so if you have a complex app running under the
JVM, your system is really going to be stretched. Don't get me wrong - I
do like Java for its multiplatform orientation, but that flexibility
comes at a heavy price.

> You know man, I don't think Anjuta will ever take off. These people
> have been on this project for more than 5 years and only those in
> the development circle (the inner circle) make positive statements
> about anjuta. I tried it and fought to get it to work, but like
> everyone I know, I failed. My suggestion is... try learning the
> Maketools and Glade or Gazpacho and forget about Anjuta. Now, if
>  you are lazy like me, and don't want to learn the maketools, then
> just get yourself a copy of KDevelop and presto!

Yes, Anjuta 2.x.x is in a horrible state of affairs in the release
version's current condition, but as Johannes said, it's the accumulation
of volunteer hours spent - when someone offers you free beer, you don't
sit there and bitch about how watery it tastes. I'm sorry if this sounds
a little harsh, and I respect that Anjuta is not everyone's taste, but a
little respect must be.

Anjuta 1.2.4 is perfectly adequate at the moment for what most of us
need (bar proper Makefile processing) and in the meantime we can use
that while lending our support in whichever way possible to the Anjuta
team.

Darryl

--
Darryl LeCount
www.jamyskis.net

PGP Key: 1E94A0F1
To confirm the authenticity of this mail, add this key to your PGP
keyring.
Um den Ursprung dieses E-Mails zu bestätigen, bitte diesen Schüssel in
Ihren PGP-Schlüsselbund einfügen.
Pour vérifier l'authenticité de ce courriel, ajoutez ce clé à votre
porte-clés PGP.