[Anjuta-list] Most recent stable version with "plain makefile" support?

Hi, I recently upgraded from 1.2.4 to 2.1.1_beta1 (these are the versions in gentoo's portage), and then found that it no longer supports projects without an automake environment. I really like the new look and feel and features of the 2.0 line, but I need the ability to work on projects that don't use automake. I would also like it to be as stable as possible. (I read a post from back in April saying that plain makefile support was re-enabled in svn, after 2.1.2... but no idea how stable you keep your svn snapshots)

What version would you reccomend? (and yes, I'm willing to compile form source)

To be a little more specific about what I'm looking for: the 1.2.4 version gave me the ability to open up a foreign-to-me project and get nice lists of all the functions and structs available. This helps immensely with browsing the codebase and learning the API. I also like to have this information available in the code-completion and function parameter tooltips.

Upon upgrading to 2.1.1, I get errors about "gnome-build" not liking the project tree, and it refuses to import. I can create new projects just fine, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the 1.2.4 behavior where I can just open a directory of source files and hack on them, and still get tags support and code completion. I admit that using and supporting automake is a good thing, but fully autotooling all the projects I need to work on isn't an option.

Anyway, I would ask that the developers PLEASE not go the route of eclipse, and end up with an inflexible mess where a person can't even touch their filesystem directly without screwing up the project system. (and other anal features, like where you import an existing codebase and it copies the whole project into its own managed directory tree!) I think being able to do ad-hoc editing on the filesystem is a very important feature for the average developer, and the more IDE features that still work while doing this, the better.

-Mike