Re: [Anjuta-list] Tools editor

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 20:21, Erwan Becquet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use tools since yesterday and everything is ok. I just donwloaded and
> installed last version and I must say that the list of variables is very
> useful !

Thanks - feel free to propose further additions to variables that you
think might be useful.

> But (there is always a but ;-)), at least two little things would be
> cool
>
> 1) Be able to add an input at run-time of the tool, sthing like a
> checkbox
>     in editor, saying "need arg" or not and open a popup window for the
> arg,
>     ability to name this arg & so the popup window would be cool too.
> To clear
>     what is in my mind, think of "commit project" where you can enter
> log
>     message and revision. Btw, maybe a # variable of args would be cool
> ?

Yes, this is already in my TODO list for the tools editor (have a look
at the requirements listed at the top of src/tools-editor.c. The reason
why I haven't implemented it so far is because I want to design it
properly for maximum flexibility (I might steal some ideas from PonG
and/or Kaptain - though both are probably dead projects :-(). I'd like
to be able to associate a Glade file and automatically add key value
pairs to the available variables list before invoking the tool.

> 2) Just a fancy feature, be able to add a separator before user-defined
>     tools, add new menus at top-level, creating sub-menus etc... Enhance
>     the flexibility for inserting menu points.

Yes, Naba gave me some ideas about more flexible menu positioning. I
will probably add the ability to add the item:
1) In between two menu items.
2) To any submenu (not only top level menus)
3) Create new menu/submenu and add it there.
4) Convert a leaf-node of the menu to a submenu and add the tool there.
5) Replace an existing menu item.

These features IMO not critical enough for an initial implementation, so
will probably have to wait till after 1.0.1 is released. Currently, I
desperately need better management of multiple targets of different
types (executables, libraries, etc.) at work, so I'm likely to
concentrate on getting an autotools manager working first.

If anyone wants to add more features, etc. to the tools stuff, please
feel free to do so, or send your ideas to me so that I can put them in
the requirements doc. and work on them as and when time permits.

Also, here's a nice little task for someone wanting to get his/her feet
wet with Anjuta development - study the tools implementation
(src/anjuta-tools.[ch]) and update the manual. For that matter, *any*
updates to the manual would be greatly appreciated - it's still quite
sparse and out-of-date.

Thanks and regards,
Biswa.