Re: [anjuta-devel] Adding some filtering mechanism for plugin

Hi Johannes,

Le 14/02/2013 11:04, Johannes Schmid a écrit :
(I am skipping the technical part of the profile manager here because I
basically agree with your implementation ideas.)

Ok.

Perhaps we should completely rethink the plugin idea a bit in Anjuta
because currently we have two completely different things we call plugins
because they technically use the same mechanism:

* Components (or core plugins)
All the stuff that the user cannot really activate on it's own or that is
normally loaded by the profile manager. It could be useful to hide the
plugin character of those completely and also don't list them in the
preferences (in the GNOME IDE case).

* Additional plugins
This is what you would traditionally call plugins or addons in other
environments like firefox for example. Those should always be activatable,
even in the GNOME IDE case.

I agree that we shouldn't ever display an error message when the user
opens a project file. Even the GNOME IDE should basically behave like a
normal anjuta instance in that case. We should only be careful that it
returns to a sane state when the project is closes and that some plugins
(especially the project-wizard) don't suddenly change their appearance just
because you opened another (full anjuta) project.  So somewhere in the
background every plugin should be able to identify that it should stay in
the "GNOME" state.

I think this can be done by loading the project wizard plugin on startup in a gnome state and keeping it loaded when an anjuta project is loaded. I will have a distinction between core plugins and additional plugins but it will be not be a property of the plugin but rather of their load time. core plugins (like the project wizard) will be part of a system profile which is loaded on start up and never unloaded. While additional plugins are loaded on user request and kept in the session file. We already have this more or less in place.

I still like the idea that almost everything can be added as a plugin.

On thing not clear is do you think it would be useful to add a kind of set property value inside the profile file to be able to configure a plugin directly?

It means that we could have an gnome profile loading the project wizard plugin and initializing it in a limited mode. In this case we don't need a gnome plugin.

Other than that I would really limited the default set of plugins loaded
in the GNOME IDE version.

I agree.

Best Regards,