Re: [anjuta-devel] Adding some filtering mechanism for plugin

Hi,

I have checked how the plugin profile manager is working. The profile manager handle a queue of profiles but we use only two profiles in Anjuta: An user profile or an project profile when a project is opened. Only one profile is active at a time. The user profile is loaded on startup and is eventually replaced by the project profile.

The user profile contains the plugins list in the following files
        /usr/share/anjuta/profiles/default.profile
        ~/.cache/anjuta/default.profile

The project profile contains the plugins list in the following files
        /usr/share/anjuta/profiles/default.profile
        project_dir/project_name.anjuta
        project_dir/.anjuta/default.profile

I would like to use a different system profile. It is quite annoying that the file name containing those plugins is harcoded in the project manager plugin.

I think it would be better if I can load a system profile containing only /usr/share/anjuta/profiles/default.profile and that this profile is not overridden by the project or the user profile.

Currently, when a profile is loaded the profile manager emit a signal "profile-scoped" (and "profile-descoped" on unload). There is one callback function for project profiles and one for the user profile.

Both callback functions check if their own profile is concerned. It would be better to attach the signal to the profile object so that the user and project callback function will be called only when their respective profile is used.

In addition, it means that the profile name is not needed anymore and I can use it as a file name to allow different profiles.

I'm not sure we really need to hide some plugins. I think it's useful but perhaps not mandatory and it can be an issue. By example what's happen if you open an anjuta project needing an hidden plugin, should we display an error message?

Moreover, we need to tune some already existing plugin. I have thought about adding a plugin just for this. But perhaps it would be better to extend the profile file format to be able to define value for some plugins properties in this file. In this case, the GNOME IDE could be just a special profile file, which is loading by default some particular plugins and is setting some attributes of other ones.

Any other ideas?