Re: [anjuta-devel] 3.10 cycle plans

Hi Sébastien,

On Tuesday, 02 April, 2013 04:20 AM, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:
Do you think I should add a search
functionality in Terminal and DevHelp? I think it would be helpful if
DevHelp plugin has it.

I think the devhelp has already a search bar, no? I have disabled it at the moment and I think I need to install a newer version of Gtk to use it (I have a old system).
Sorry, I mean the find functionality for the current page, that shows up in DevHelp when Ctrl+F is pressed. Not the search function in the sidebar.

Do you mean we will add them to each project that needs support for
Windows?

I think it will be better to add a properties in each project .wiz file to enable or not the Windows support. The goal is rather to make this option more visible to the user.
OK, I'll work on it next week or during the weekends, I have some exams this week.

We could probably check the directories inside "/usr/lib/gcc" (and maybe
"lib/gcc" in other system directories too). It contains some libraries
and objects used by gcc compilers, separated into different directories
per host/target. In my Ubuntu Linux system, it has i686-linux-gnu,
i686-w64-mingw32, x86_64-linux-gnu and x86_64-w64-mingw32. Configure
checks hosts with *mingw*, pw32* or cygwin* to be recognized as a
Windows platform (only *mingw* are "native", they do not need a separate
C library).

I have a directory named i586-mingw32msvc here but not one named amd64-mingw32msvc. Moreover, I don't do this kind of check in the project wizard, we probably need to add some code if we do it here. Else perhaps we can add this in the configure script or describe this in the documentation only. It's quite open.
Probably it would work best to be added to the documentation then. We could also show a message if Windows support is available, though I don't think the project wizard supports showing something like that. Adding some code to the configure script might be hard; some people even have their cross-compilers in /opt.

We could also set a default value for --host, I think using i686-w64-mingw32 (MinGW-64 fork) would be good as default, since 32-bit is more common in Windows and latest versions of Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE has it (The packages that I use from build.opensuse.org use i686-w64-mingw32).

What about porting Anjuta itself to Windows? I tried cross-compiling it today, disabling some POSIX-specific code. It can only edit files (without symbol-viewer, completion, etc.) currently. Autotools also works, but compiling and running doesn't work yet. Symbol Viewer needs some changes for shared memory. Glade seems to work. Terminal will never work since it needs VTE. Other plugins that don't work usually needs fork, waitpid and execlp porting, and some fixing for MIME (which is not fully supported by Windows, most files have application/x-ext-* MIME type). It also has to be fixed so that paths will be created on runtime.

Regards,

Arnel