Re: [anjuta-devel] GDL questions

Hi

1. I plan to commit the change in master as I will try to always keep a
working version. But do you think it's better to create a branch for this?

You can work in master.

2. Do you think it's better to keep using libxml2 instead of replacing
it with the XML parser of GLib?

libxml2 is not a very problematic dependency so I have no problem in
keeping. There was work for a full xml parser in glib but I think it
didn't go anywhere. The current parser in glib is a bit limited.

Still, if it makes life easier for you I am all fine with switching to
the simpler parser.

4. The function gdl_dock_layout_get_layouts is not documented and not
used in Anjuta. Its use is not clear for me, so I plan to remove it. But
it could potentially break the compatibility do you prefer to keep it?

Historically you can save multiple layouts in gdl somehow. It was never
really somewhere as far as I know. If it's not used in gtranslator or
inkscape you can remove it.

5. I have planned to do a new version of GDL, potentially adding new
interface functions. But I think it's better to keep the backward
compatibility. Do you agree or do you think we can already break the
compatibility?

We make no compatibility guarantees for gdl in general. If you plan
major changes it might be good to contact some people like the
maintainer of the gdlmm bindings and the inkscape developer working on
the gdl patches. I still hope that a better gdl might be used more
widespread which would help to improve it.