Re: [anjuta-devel] GDL placeholder

Hi James,

Le 04/05/2012 06:08, James Liggett a écrit :
I have a similar problem with git shell, where if you click on a command
button multiple times, the command panes don't get placed on the bottom
where they should be. They end up in the center instead, which looks
really odd. I have no idea why this happens.

Ok.

I think it would help matters immensely if we tried a more formal
engineering approach with GDL. We could start by putting together a list
of things that GDL should do. Then we get rid of anything that doesn't
fit. This way, we have documented reasons for why certain things are in
the GDL code.

I have only looked at the part which interest me at the moment, the saving of the windows layout (the GdlDockLayout object). From what I have seen, the architecture seems good and I don't see much things to remove. But I have looked only at a small part and indeed the GdlDockPlaceholder object seems unused, I suppose it can be removed. Do you have in mind other things those could be removed?

From there, we should put together a short description of GDL's overall
design, with descriptions of which classes do what. The idea here is
that we document everything with GDL so that even long after we're gone,
other people can come in and understand how GDL works, and why we made
the decisions we did. From my experience, the absolute worst part of
hacking on GDL is that we have no idea how it works or how decisions
were made. Rectifying those problems would go a long way toward making
GDL more maintainable and easier to work on.

I'm agree that currently GDL is quite unusable due to the lack of documentation. But I think I have in mind something less formal, rather read a piece of code, try to understand it then modify it and document the result. I prefer to play with a part of the code and understand it piece by piece.

I plan to change the GdlDockLayout item to keep track of hidden dock items. So when saving a layout, instead of clearing the old one, I would rather mark all windows as hidden and try to merge it with the current layout.

I have seen that currently, it uses libxml2 which is a good and stable library but I think it's not really necessary for such a simple usage. So perhaps it could be better to use the xml parser integrated inside GLib allowing to remove this dependency.

What does everyone think about this?

I have planned to improve the saving of the layout, gain some knowledge about GDL and then look at the bugs as I don't think there are really critical bugs.