Re: [anjuta-devel] Testing needed for new git status code

On 08/23/2012 09:59 AM, Johannes Schmid wrote:
Hi James, hi Nacho!

First thanks a lot for fixing the status bug! It works here.

I did some prototyping with libgit2-glib (and libgit2) and think that it
is definitly the way to go for anjuta 3.8. It also gives us the
possibility to make the whole user-interface more context-sensitive,
e.g. don't allow to pull when you have uncommited changes. I even
started a wiki page[1] with my ideas but didn't have time to create the
UI mockups I had in mind, yet. Anyway, this is all for the next cycle.
Your proposal looks good to me, but I'd like to add a few things:

1. We should be able to do this without disturbing the UI code. In other
words, other than the context sensitivity changes, we should do this by
rewriting the command objects and leave the upper-level git shell code
alone. I'm thinking that the new command structure would probably look a
lot like the command objects we have for the Subversion plugin, in that
they would derive AnjutaAsyncCommand and dispense with AnjutaLauncher.

2. Generally the proposed feature set looks good but I want to add these:
- Bisect support (we have commands for this but I haven't implemented a
git shell UI for it yet)

- Let users add diff hunks to the index instead of whole files.

- Log filtering. As with bisect, we still have the commands for these
but with no UI in git shell.

Can libgit2 do all of this? From time to time I take a look at libgit2
to see how it's progressing but it seems to be missing advanced things
like bisect.

What other UI changes did you have in mind? I'd like to see those mockups...

Thanks,
James