Re: [anjuta-devel] Selecting and storing AVR debug platform and target device

Hi!

You have several AVR debug platforms, like the AVR Dragon, the JTAG ICE
mkII, JTAG ICE mkI, and the simulator. each platform does not support
all devices, and their supported devices list will differ from each
other. So when creating a new project, and you select a certain debug
platform, the list where you can select the target device should be
dynamically filled with data. Is that possible with the autogen based
project wizards? And if not, how should I implement it? Create a dialog
in C which opens directly after the project wizard? Create a dialog
which opens before
compiling/debugging if the target device isn't yet selected?

I think it's best to add this information in some way to the dialog that
is shown on first build (or if the user selects Project->Configure...). It
might need some changes here to allow costumization of that dialog through
a plugin but it seems far easier compared to adding support for dynamic
computation in the project wizard as that would probably mean to execute
some scripts there.

And when the user selects a debug platform and target device, where do
we store that information? It's required in almost every part of the
development process: compiling, debugging and programming it on to the
AVR.
So a configure.ac is required to check if avr-gcc is available, and sets
the
CC to avr-gcc, and must set some compiler arguments too containing the
target device and maybe the CPU frequency as a define.

Well, if it is saved in configure.ac you should receive it from there. We
have a parser for the configure script which should be able to give you
that information. Might need some addition to the project-manager. In
general we try to save/load all project specific data from autotools in
anjuta without requiring extra project files.
The only other thing we save is the "session" which is mostly equivalent
to the loaded project. But the session file should only include "soft"
configuration, things that you can easily restore like window layout,
opened files, etc.