[anjuta-devel] Selecting and storing AVR debug platform and target device

Hi guys,

I'm busy with the project creation wizard, but I have a few things I'm not sure about:

You have several AVR debug platforms, like the AVR Dragon, the JTAG ICE mkII, JTAG ICE mkI, and the simulator. each platform does not support all devices, and their supported devices list will differ from each other. So when creating a new project, and you select a certain debug platform, the list where you can select the target device should be dynamically filled with data. Is that possible with the autogen based project wizards? And if not, how should I implement it? Create a dialog in C which opens directly after the project wizard? Create a dialog which opens before compiling/debugging if the target device isn't yet selected?

And when the user selects a debug platform and target device, where do we store that information? It's required in almost every part of the development process: compiling, debugging and programming it on to the AVR. So a configure.ac is required to check if avr-gcc is available, and sets the CC to avr-gcc, and must set some compiler arguments too containing the target device and maybe the CPU frequency as a define.

When debugging, a GDB server has to be started, for example AVaRICE for JTAG or debugWire debugging. AVaRICE (and the simulator too) requires the target device when starting. avr-gdb doesn't require the target device so that makes it a little easier. But where do we get the target device from? I think I'll make an entry in the tools (or an AVR specifc) menu, where you can start/stop AVaRICE or the simulator. The best thing would be start, without any dialog to enter additional information like the target device (as it's already given in the project creation wizard), but we need to retreive the given target device from somewhere.

AVRDude also requires the target device, so we need the target device available in the code.

Do you have any suggestions about that?

Thanks in advance,
Lucas