Re: [anjuta-devel] Documenting the git plugin: where to start?

Hi James!

For the next couple of weeks I'd like to start writing a proper manual
for the new git plugin that explains things like the options in the
dialogs, and where more exotic constructs like DnD are used. Thing is,
I'm just not sure where to start. I found something at
http://developer.gnome.org/gdp-handbook/stable/index-info.html.en but it
seems to be very old.

I think this is really old. Basically everything should be written in a
task-based manner, that means, don't explain what button XY does but
instead explain how to solve a problem/task.

Something like
"Adding files to the repository"

instead of

"The Add files pane"

I think you get the point.

Recently there's also been some chatter here about using Mallard for
documentation. So how does all of this fit together, and where should I
start?

Yes, the new anjuta manual is written in the mallard markup language,
basically because it is so much easier to use than docbook. The new
documentation are the .page files in manuals/anjuta-manual. The full
mallard specification (and documentation) can be found at
http://www.projectmallard.org/.

Use the yelp help viewer to view the documentation (either "yelp ." or
"yelp index.page" depending if you have yelp 2 or 3. It also has some
options to help debugging.

In general, if you are unsure with something, feel free to ask on #docs or
on gnome-doc-list.

While you are on, it would be nice if some pane wouldn't consume so much
vertical space for the option checkboxes. Maybe better to align them in to
rows (like in a GtkGrid). And in addition I am not sure it is a good idea
to "stack" panes so that I see both "Add" and "Commit" pane at the same
time when I don't close the "Add" pane before choosing "Commit".

Thanks,