Re: [anjuta-devel] Selecting and storing AVR debug platform and target device

Hi Lucas,

Le 10/06/2011 14:39, Lucas van Dijk a écrit :
I don't completely follow you here, I think it's a good idea to modify
the configure.ac <http://configure.ac>, which checks for example if
there's a target argument, and sets the compiler configuration
accordingly. I don't think it's very user friendly if the user should
type the argument itself (in the additional arguments textbox), I would
like to have some UI for it. The best would be a dropdown select box,
containing all supported targets of avr-gcc. The selected target will
also be saved in the session.

You can already have it without a specific target combo box using the current configuration combox box. All project wizard template, define only 4 configurations at the moment (Default, Debug, Profile, Optimized) but you can define other ones.

Each configuration is associated with a predefined list of argument to configure script. So if instead of the default configure, you define (target1, target2 and target3) it will be fine too. You can even define target1, target1 Debug, target1 Profile, target1 Optimized, target2, target2 Debug, target2 Profile, target2 Optimized, target3, target3 Debug, target3 Profile, target3 Optimized.

If you have lots of combination, it could becomes quite annoying so perhaps it's better to add a new combo box. But in principle it's already possible without requiring that the user type some argument.

I like this too, if some sort of loaded plugin implements a specific
interface which can fill the combobox, then call it. For example, the
AVR plugin would implement TargetsListInterface, and returns a list of
supported devices of avr-gcc. If there's no plugin implementing the
interface, hide the combobox.

Yes, then is an additional combo box for the target is enough to you need more?

Yeah it's better if the gdb server is also automatically started when
the user clicks debug, if the command can be altered I don't think it's
really hard.

Yes, the command can be altered using the IAjutaEnvironment interface and it's not working only for the debugger, it's available for running program or compiling it.

I think it's also a good idea, when the user starts the debug session
for the first time, it will be asked what debug platform to use (showing
a combobox with options like AVaRICE JTAG, simulavr etc). This setting
will also be saved in session, so the next time the user starts debug,
it doesn't have to ask again. But, there are some cases that the target
selected by the user at the configure dialog, isn't supported by the
debug platform the user selects when trying to start debugging. We can
check if the selected target is supported by one of the debug platforms,
and hide the debug platforms which don't support the target device. If
no debug platforms remain, show a message that this target device can't
be debugged.

Ok, so the target selected in the configure script and the debug platform are two different options. Then, indeed you need another dialog to ask this information.