Re: [anjuta-devel] Project manager UI suggestions

Hi Johannes,

I have started to replace the project action names so
 Add Subdirectory => New Directory
 Add Target => New Target
 Add Source => Add Source
 Add Module => Add Library
 Add Package => New Library

I have a few points where I'm not sure.

1. I wondering if it's better to keep the GTK_STOCK_ADD icon for the New actions. I would say yes, because you still add the new object at the end.

2. Same question for the "Ok" button in all these dialogs.

3. In the "New Library" dialog (old Add Package), I need to enter a module name and there is a package list. I think it's better to keep these names as they are the real names used in autotools. Moreover package and module appears in the project view. After thinking about this, I think having a dialog named New Library which is asking for a module name and a package name is a bit strange but still the best solution.

4. In the same way, the New Directory dialog request for a group name. Perhaps it's better to keep it too, to make it clear that it's not just a directory and have group properties instead of directory properties. On the other hand, this group name is not defined in autotools where it's rather called a directory. So I think I will keep the name directory.

5. I have kept the "New Library" dialog, because I think it's not too difficult to understand, that you need to select this dialog and then "Add library" to use a library in one program.

By the way, if someone else has more ideas about the best way to improve the project manager interface, I'm interested.

On problem remaining is how to present the node properties. The properties in the main menu item show only the properties of the project. You need to use the properties context menu item to set properties for a target and I have seen several users who haven't found it.

On solution could be to draw the root node in the project view and display the selected node properties with the main menu item. So you will have to select the root node to get the project properties and you can get all other properties by selecting another node. To make this even more clear perhaps I can add a tree view in the properties dialog allowing to select another node without closing the dialog, like in the add source, add target or add group dialogs.