[anjuta-devel] Project manager: changing installation directory

Hi,

It should be now possible to change the installation directory of a target using the GUI now.

1. You need to change the installation directory property of the target to almost any name. This will change the target list variable and create a new group variable with this name, eventually prefixed by dir if you haven't put it. 2. You need to set this variable to the directory you really want. This variable appears as a group property. If you install your program in a standard directory (bin by example) you don't need this step.

It's not really difficult to do but I think it's not so simple especially for someone not knowing autotools. I think, it would be better if you can change the target installation directory by changing only target properties. I think the use of an additional variable is rather an implementation detail.

I thinking about these possible ways to make this better:

1. Hide this completely this: The target installation directory property will have the content of the corresponding dir variable as value. + You can change the installation directory completely in the target properties
- The backend needs to take care of creating additional variable when needed
- You don't really control (in the GUI) the name of the dir variable and how it is mapped to a target.

2. Accept smart entry: The dir variable name should contains only alphanumeric characters and underscores. A installation directory name contains probably $ (if it uses a variable) or directory separators. If the user enter a simple name (alphanumeric and underscore only), we consider it as a dir variable name else we consider it as an installation directory name and create the needed dir variable name automatically. + You can change the installation directory completely in the target properties
+ You can control the name of the dir variable if you want.
- If you enter a installation directory name, after clicking on apply the value of this variable will be quite different. It will be the dir variable name while the value you enter will appear in the group properties. Note that this entry has already some magic, because the dir prefix is added automatically if needed.

3. Do nothing more:
+ You can control the name of the dir variable if you want.
- You cannot change the installation directory completely in the target properties dialog.

I think, the solution 2 is probably better. I already have a similar problem with module and package, I think module are not very useful. But I think it's better to keep the real structure of the autotools project files to make it easier to understand them and possibly change them for more advanced needs. Perhaps you can imagine a better way to achieve this.

I still have some ideas to improve this, by example it would be nice to use a combo box with standard and already used directories. But I think it's not that important.

By the way, the autotools backend should cover the basic needs now, I still plan to improve it during this cycle but I don't know exactly what is more important. I'm interested to know if someone think that something is really missing in this backend. Eventually, I can try to list all missing features so we can order them by priority.