Re: [anjuta-devel] [Fwd: Packaging and deployment using GNOME tools]

Hi Sébastien,

On Sat, 2010-12-25 at 18:36 +0100, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:
One thing that could be easier is to modify an already existing package.

We could open directly the package, anjuta will take care of
uncompressing it and displaying the content. Then we can modify some
files and compile an updated version. If it uses autotools it's even
possible to add/remove source files. At the end, we should be able to
regenerate the binary packages using the same dependencies. For simple
case, just a bug fix by example, it should be enough.

Changing the package will need to parse the packages files and it's
probably more difficult. But if we consider that the user is only
updating an already existing package it is not needed. Do you think this
is a common case ?

This would be very useful, and I think it would be a common use case for
maintainers and other established contributors. It would also help more
people to "opportunistically" fix bugs. However, I think creating a
package in the first place is where the steepest learning curve is, so
this is where we should be focusing our efforts.

Interestingly, it seems that the KDE guys have been working on something
similar [1].

Thanks,

Phil

[1] -