Re: [anjuta-devel] Anjuta Vala bindings

Hello,
                 في ن، 27-12-2010 عند 20:33 +0100 ، كتب Johannes Schmid:
How likely is the merge of the switch-to-gir branch into vala master
within the next few weeks? I guess the gtk+ bug shouldn't be a big issue
so I guess it is merged rather soon. Same things was fixed in gdl and
anjuta already.
It is supposed to be always ready to merge, and it should be reviewed
before a release so I think the fix will be available in the next
release or so.

3. generate the vapi from the gir
  + get the benefits corrected gir annotations
  - need to be manually generated on a system who has the above fixes
  - may have a problem with gdl (so we'd need to skip that)

If the above (2) causes issues this could be a good intermediate step.
Skipping gdl is not a big issue for now though it should have quite good
GIRs.
I see it's already skipped :-) So no need to do that.

Seriously : when generating the gir, the gdl gir isn't included, and so
the gdl-needing parts are

Another question is whether we should install the vapi or not, it's
nicer for external plugins written in vala (until vala supports gir
properly).

I think we should focus on the girs. This is basically our interface for
plugin developers and the vapis are just an intermediate step.

I'm not suggesting not to use gir. I just wanted to say that gir support
in vala isn't quite ready and may take some time (and even when it's
ready, we might still want to tweak it a bit [1]). And that's why I'm
suggesting to install the vapi. Anyway, we'll see as gir support in vala
matures.

Looking forward to an updated vala plugin :)
I'm going to start attaching patches to bugzilla.

Regards,
Abderrahim

[1] GI is written with dynamic languages in mind, and even if some
features have been implemented specifically for Vala, I don't think it
would ever reach the expressiveness and flexibility of vapi.