Re: [anjuta-devel] RFC: Symbol-db future

Hi,

On 12/13/2010 10:04 AM, Johannes Schmid wrote:
Hi!

If you think this filtering is fast enough we can do that. But the file
filter list will have 50-300 entries.

yes but if you use the 'packages' grouping you would not require to pass
all those entries to a single query.

Yes, but it wouldn't work as good as single file filtering. And in
addition what would we do with files that aren't part of any package
because they are system headers or just part of a library that's not
using pkg-config?

well, we can act as `dpkg -S` does on debian: we could query project-manager and ask it to which package it belongs to. I suppose that using the meta-packages and the libraries packages, there will be really few headers left alone.
If that's the case we can put those orphans under a 'unknown' package.
Doing this separation will help the db at query time.

cxxparser is great to detect situation like object->method() but it
doesn't help us with scoping in the global database. But we would really
like to have autocompletion for this case:

Class MyButton : Gtk::Button
{

}

MyButton::do_something()
{
        set_label ("Something"); // this is a method of Gtk::Button
        // but Gtk::Label might also have a similar method that we don't
        // want
}

Of course we can do something like that in the language-support plugin
(sync pseudo code):

for (scope = current_scope; scope != NULL; scope =
scope_get_parent_scope (scope)
{
        symbols = g_list_concat (symbols, find_symbols_in_scope (scope));
}

well, yes, that would be the correct procedure to search into scopes. But it's currently not implemented on cxxparser.

regards,
Massimo