Re: [orca-list] differant speach ingens reading differantly?

Hi Jarrod:

Different speech engines will have their own pronunciation lexicons, so they might pronounce things differently. Orca has a preferences option to allow you to adjust the pronunciation somewhat to you liking though. If you follow the "Pronunciation Page" link from the following URL, you will find instructions for doing this:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/nightly/configuration-gui.html

Will

Jarrod Jicha wrote:
Hey there everyone. I am new to the list. I just started using Ubuntu almost two weeks ago, and I am really liking it so far. I do have a question though. As you all know, Ubunto comes with orca, and its default speach ingen is e-speak. while this speach is ok, when you are reading a file, for example a story, that voice really isn't the gratest. I managed to get festival installed, and I like the way it reads stories for the most part, however I am running into an issue. when it comes across a word with an apostraphy in it, for example words like i'll hi's i'm we'll, it don't read them right. it reads it like i ll instead of i'll. it sees the apostraphy, but instead of reading it correctly it is as if it sees an apostraphy as a space or something. can anyone recimend a good reading voice that don't do this, or is there a way to fix festival to wair it will read words like this correctly? I still have a lot to learn in linux, but I am liking what I am seeing so far. now if I could just change the SMTP port on my mail client from 25 to 587 I would be even happier.