Re: getting orca included in gnome 2.16

I for one, would be happy to see this occur for a number of reasons:

1.  usability.  I have been working with Orca for several months, and one of
the things I remember from the outset is being pleasantly surprised by the
minimal learning curve involved in getting accustomed to the program.  In
most cases, Orca is very good at automatically reading relevant information,
and if it does become necessary to use flat review, the process is very
intuitive, with virtually no need to consult documentation.  Therefore, new
users of Orca are free to concentrate on accomplishing their day to day
tasks, while the screen reader does its job in the background.  This ease of
use  could also help pave the way for new users making the transition from
windows to the Gnome desktop.

2.  scriptability.  End users are already seeing dividends from the
scriptable approach.  Even though Orca is still in a relatively early stage
in terms of development, it already offers unparalleled accessibility to
applications such as Evolution, Gaim, and the Open or Star Office suites.

The above are just a few of the reasons why I believe that Orca's inclusion into the desktop would be advantageous. It really seems like the logical next step in terms of Gnome accessibility, and at least from my perspective as an end user, I can't see any downsides at all if it were to take place.

--Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pedersen" <Michael Pedersen Sun COM>