Re: Network manager or application, but not both!!!

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 15:47 +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:52:10PM -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> > Ronald,
> >
> > It sounds like you are running the prerelease Network Manager from the
> > Network Manager PPA.   I would recommend filing bugs on Launchpad or
> > posting to this thread on Ubuntuforums:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797059   The Ubuntu
> > Maintainer does check there periodically.
> >
> > Specific to the problem you describe I think you are seeing a bug
> > where NM changes the hostname so X can't launch any new applications.
> >  If you watch the log do you see the hostname change?
>
> I uploaded a quick fix for this (~nm3) to the PPA until we have the
> real solution.
>
> The problem is that latest NM changes hostname unless you explicitly
> tell him not to do that in a system config file. Discussion on #nm
> revealed that ubuntu (debian?) doesnt update .Xauthority when the
> hostname changes during a X session.
>
> From what I understood opensuse and fedora appear to automagically add
> the new host name to .Xauthority. Dan, any idea what mechanism is done
> to do that?

Yep, but it's not that.  The magic is in xinit to always allow
connections from local unix domain sockets, which local clients use on
the same machine to connect to the X server instead of TCP since it's
ohsomuchfaster.  Since it's a local unix domain socket, you _know_ it's
not remote, and thus there's no point whatsoever to using hostname
validation in .Xauthority.  Xauth is completely unecessary with local
users.  The fact that Xauth depends on hostname is bogus and has always
been bogus.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/xorg-x11-xinit/devel/localuser.sh?view=log