Re: Network manager or application, but not both!!!

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:52:10PM -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> Ronald,
>
> It sounds like you are running the prerelease Network Manager from the
> Network Manager PPA.   I would recommend filing bugs on Launchpad or
> posting to this thread on Ubuntuforums:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797059   The Ubuntu
> Maintainer does check there periodically.
>
> Specific to the problem you describe I think you are seeing a bug
> where NM changes the hostname so X can't launch any new applications.
>  If you watch the log do you see the hostname change?

I uploaded a quick fix for this (~nm3) to the PPA until we have the
real solution.

The problem is that latest NM changes hostname unless you explicitly
tell him not to do that in a system config file. Discussion on #nm
revealed that ubuntu (debian?) doesnt update .Xauthority when the
hostname changes during a X session.